Over the last couple of weeks I’ve been moving into a new apartment and I had a problem getting the oven to work (not too good at these sort of things). Anyway, I didn’t have a manual so I headed over to the manufacturers website, Creda, for help.
Searching for Creda in Google I found www.creda.co.uk at #1, but was surprised to see the following result snippet displayed:
Bit strange, but I guessed the website was down the last time Googlebot visited and continued to click the listing and then found this message to show that the website only operates in Internet Explorer!
So rather than having the search engines fully index all content and generate traffic from valuable product related terms, the spiders find an error page which can compete for the not so relevant keyphrase “Browser Error” instead!
I later found they have another website which is browser compatible, far more useful for non IE users and the search engines this time. Although seeing that they are now owned by Hotpoint and the old version (and it’s duplicate Creda.com) rank organically they’re probably in need of a 301 redirect or three too.
But back to my main point and there’s a big lesson to be learnt for any designers who are stuck in the past and aren’t testing websites on multiple browsers. Although on a more positive note, I fixed the oven!